Monday, April 23, 2012

A rough itinerary...looking for your ideas and opinions

Hi!





I%26#39;ll be coming into DC on September 14 for a 7 day trip (I come back the evening of September 20). I haven%26#39;t come up with too specific of any plans as yet, but I have a good idea of what I want to do and I wonder if you can offer your ideas and opinions. Thank you!





Day 1: Fly into Dulles, arriving at 12:15 or so. Figure I%26#39;d be at hotel (Marriott Crystal City in Arlington) by 1ish. I%26#39;d take a little time to nap, then head to Whole Foods (I%26#39;m assuming I can get a cab to and from?) and get some staples for breakfast and things. I thought I%26#39;d check out the Pentagon Centre Mall after that, then maybe go and get dinner someplace. In the evening, I want to take one of the moonlight tours.





From days 2-6 will be when I do the real sightseeing and touring, but I don%26#39;t plan on hitting tons of places. I love to take my time if I think a place is worth it (I%26#39;m trying to read up beforehand so I can have a better idea where I want to spend my time) but I think I will want to spend a whole day, or at least the good majority of the day, at the Air %26amp; Space Museum (it has two locations, so I want to see both of them, and there is a movie at the IMAX theater that I want to check out). I definitely want to see the Capitol and the Supreme Court, I%26#39;d like to see the White House (I know I can%26#39;t go in but I still would love to go out to see the outside in person) the American Indian Museum, Georgetown, National Cathedral, Department of State, the Library of Congress and National Archives. Does that sound like a lot to do in five days? Could I do it in FOUR? A friend highly recommended that I try to go to Annapolis and I%26#39;m going to ask my concierge about this when I get there (maybe they can get me a bus trip and tour for the day before I come back). And what about anything I can do the day I leave, before I actually must leave (2 pm?).





I realize this is a lot and appreciate all of your help.





A rough itinerary...looking for your ideas and opinions


The great part about your hotel is you%26#39;re so close to the Metro. Take advantage of it! You can actually take the Metro from your hotel to Whole Foods. There is one is Old Town Alexandria (King St Metro) or Arlington (Clarendon).





Personally, I%26#39;d skip Annapolis on this trip, and instead visit on a Baltimore excursion. Otherwise, your itinerary looks very reasonable. Although, you did forget my two favorite DC attractions: the National Gallery and the Spy Museum. :)





Hope you have a great trip!



A rough itinerary...looking for your ideas and opinions


Thanks for that information about the Metro to Whole Foods...just out of curiosity, why do you recommend Baltimore over Annapolis? Does anyone else have thoughts? Is there a specific way I should put these things into order?




I guess I should clarify what I wrote. I think you should skip the trip to Annapolis this time, and go to Baltimore with side trip to Annapolis on another vacation. Your itinerary looks pretty full right now, and Baltimore/Annapolis makes a great three-day weekend.





I really like Annapolis, but there isn%26#39;t a ton of things to do. The harbor area is charming, with lovely shops and delicious seafood restaurants. I often take out-of-towners on a boat ride.





Baltimore is a more lively city, and much smaller than DC. Again, there are many great seafood places. Inner Harbor is a nice section for walking/people-watching/shopping, and the aquarium is a must-see attraction.





Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. :)




Oh, okay...is there anything while I%26#39;m in DC that I should be grouping together? For example, the Capitol and the Supreme Court? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment