Monday, April 23, 2012

Appropriate cold weather clothing for touring DC

We have a large family and I am needing to plan purchases for appropriate winter weather gear for the eight of us over the Chrismas break. I am trying to visualize getting off the metro and walking three blocks in the cold (possibly wet) weather to a museum. Then I am visualizing trying to carry all the gear through the museum. I have experienced the meat-cooler temperatures the museums are kept at when it is hot outside. Do the buildings typically feel like ovens during the winter (I hope not! If I have a coat with me I would just as soon wear it than have to carry it!) I don%26#39;t suppose the museums have cloak rooms? Anyway...I don%26#39;t want kids with wet feet. My college and high school age kids have gortex boots and gators. They have warm coats and hats. (Is that overkill?) I am more worried about outfitting the younger set and myself. Any suggestions? With so many in the family (and the expense involved) I really do have to plan way ahead for these sorts of things.

Appropriate cold weather clothing for touring DC

According to the Smithsonian%26#39;s website (www.si.edu) most museum lockers and coatrooms have been closed. As to the weather, most of the really bad winter weather around here happens in January and February. That%26#39;s not to say that it never snows in December, just that generally it doesn%26#39;t. So--most of the time you will be fine in a winter coat that%26#39;s not too heavy and can get away without needing gloves. To be honest, I own a pair of winter boots but rarely need to wear them in the winter, so you should be fine in regular footwear. However, to be on the safe side, check the long term forecast before you leave for your visit just in case we have some unusual weather. I think when touring the museums, you should be fine with your coat on. Much like going to the a shopping mall in the winter---you can walk around with your coat on but have it unzipped or unbuttoned. Enjoy your stay!

Appropriate cold weather clothing for touring DC

Think lightweight layers! You can find great things that layer well from REI or Lands Ends. I wouldn%26#39;t want to travel in a heavy coat.

As the other poster said, our really bad weather usually hits at the end of January. No need for boots in December unless there is some kind of freak storm. I%26#39;d be more concerned about comfortable shoes---a trip to DC is all about walking!

Enjoy your trip!


I am a recently relocated Texan who spent nine years in DC, so I%26#39;ll give you the warm weather perspective. It will feel very cold in December, especially if Dallas as yet to cool down, but don%26#39;t bother with buying big heavy coats and carrying them all the way to DC. As the above posters mentioned, layering is the key. Wear t-shirts, long sleeved t-shirts and a fleece jacket and you should be fine. Boots probably are not necessary in December, unless, as noted above, there is an early snow storm. Even then, most of the sidewalks in the tourist areas are cleared pretty quickly. I would take a pair of gloves, but my hands tend to get very cold easily and I always felt better when my hands were warm, even if every thing esle was cold. I know that the National Gallery of Art has a cloak room, as does the Spy Musuem. If you%26#39;re layered though, it will be easier to remove things and carry them with you as you tour the museums. Some of the museums are very warm in the winter. You%26#39;ll also get warm while walking, especially if the sun is out.


Agree with previous post about the museums being warm. They are very warm in the winter, the heat is definitely working. Don%26#39;t bring a big bubble coat or winter coat. A nice small thin parka would be nice if you don%26#39;t like to wear layers.

I sweat at all times of the year, so I don%26#39;t like to wear layers or heavy coats. What helps is wearing gloves (easy to store if they aren%26#39;t necessary), a scarf that can wrap around your head if you don%26#39;t like wearing hat like I do. Your regular walking shoes should be fine, and late fall clothing should work (a nice not too thick cotton sweater something that is easy to cool off in in case you get hot). You won%26#39;t be needing the gortex boots Even if it snows we never really get that much snow around Christmas for those boots.

Metro will be fine getting off. We have the escalators that bring you up to the street and Metro has to have their walkways and sidewalks near the stations cleared for pedestrians.


Thank you all so much for your excellent and informative responses! You have been VERY helpful!

  • scars
  • parameter order
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment