Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Eastern Market /Capitol Hill area food?

I%26#39;ve done my own research, but does anyone have any personal recommendations (or hates) for restaurants or food places in this area? Any type, any level.



Eastern Market /Capitol Hill area food?


Montmartre is an excellent French restaurant near Eastern Market. It%26#39;s on 7th Street, less than a block north of Pennsylvania Ave. The menu changes seasonally, but I was always able to find something wonderful there. If it%26#39;s in season, try the carrot soup.





For a less expensive lunch, try Bread %26amp; Chocolate on the corner of Penn. Ave. and 7th. Also, Eastern Market lunch counter has some good choices. I hear the crab cakes are wonderful, but be advised that this really isn%26#39;t a sit down type of restaurant.





Sonoma, on Pennsylvania Ave. about 2 blocks down from the Library of Congress, is also very good and has an excellent selection of wines by the glass and by the bottle.





Most of the other restaurants that line Penn. Ave. heading south and east from the Capitol serve edible food, but nothing fabulous. The Greek place always served reliable food, but the service was terrible. Most of the bars along that street also serve food, but it%26#39;s typically bar fare (burgers, sandwiches, etc.)



Eastern Market /Capitol Hill area food?


I second the recommendation for Montmartre--it%26#39;s one of my favorite places on Capitol Hill.





Another possibility--there is a tiny Salvadorean place across from the Eastern Market. I can%26#39;t remember the name and I%26#39;ve never actually eaten there, but the family that owns it also runs one of the stalls in the market. I%26#39;ve always liked the burritos and empanadas that I got from their stall, so I%26#39;ve been wanting to try their restaurant for some time. I did walk by and check out their hours though, and they%26#39;re not open very late. Barely open for dinner at all, really. More a lunch/breakfast place.





I had fairly good Indian food a few years ago at a place called White Tiger. That might be a possibility.





I would NOT recommend Two Quail or Cafe Berlin if you are over that way.




I agree with Montmartre and Sonoma. Both good choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment