Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Restaurants catering to food allergies

My family will be travelling to DC next month. We are staying at the Residence Inn (Capitol South), so we will have a full kitchen (we have stayed there before). This time we are bringing my son%26#39;s cousin who is allergic to milk (whey, casein), eggs, and nuts (including peanuts and sesame seeds).



I would appreciate any advice on any restaurants that have menu options for people with food allergies, specifically lunch and dinner options.



We will be taking the train in from PA and will be using the metro.



Restaurants catering to food allergies


I would suggest taking a look at this website first:



http://washington.dc.diningguide.com/





From what I hear, many restaurants are willing to work with their customers when it comes to food allergies. Just mention your restrictions to your server.



Restaurants catering to food allergies


You can not put food allergy care in the hands of ANY restaurant.





How severe is the allergy? Epi-pen carrying severe?





My son got horribly ill after I specifically asked what was inside something. I specifically asked the server about the ingredients, and was told it was fine. It wasn%26#39;t. Over the years, his allergy (peanuts) has gotten worse. If this same thing happened today, he could die. I carry an Epi-pen everywhere. He will even have a reaction if a pan or serving utensil is used and cross-contaminates in food prep.





I have it easy-it is one thing. The list you indicate above is extensive and tricky. Just because a dish is listed as ';gluten free';, or ';no nuts';, doesn%26#39;t mean it was prepped in a manner that will ensure safety from a reaction.




Thanks for your reply. I will check out the website. The child%26#39;s parents have provided my husband and I with foods that he can eat (there is actually a lot he can eat, but chooses not too), along with questions to ask the managers and chefs.






I suspect he is pretty savvy. My son turns down a lot of things that I know full well he can eat, but he just chooses not to.





Food allergies are TOUGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment