Thursday, April 12, 2012

Safely Concerns with Midnight Arrival at National Airport

My 2 kids and I will be arriving past mid night at National Airport around Christmas and I am concerned about getting to our hotel near Tysons Corner. Are taxis available and safe at that time? What are alternative options?

Thanks.

Safely Concerns with Midnight Arrival at National Airport

I%26#39;m surprised you were able to find a flight into DCA at that hour - I thought late-night flights were banned because of noise restrictions! The latest I%26#39;ve flown into DCA was at 9:45 pm, and the entire airport had shut down except for the TSA guards at the exits and the baggage handlers.

Taxis are very safe, as they have to registered with the airport before picking up passengers there. You should be able to find a cab, if the cabbies are aware that there%26#39;s a late flight that night, but you might have a long wait if the flight is a crowded one. Plus, you%26#39;ll have to wait for a cab with Virginia tags if you%26#39;re going out to Tyson%26#39;s. Other cabs will only take passengers to Maryland and DC.

Safely Concerns with Midnight Arrival at National Airport

You will be fine.

I fly in and out of National quite a bit and often have post midnight flight arrivals into National and I take a taxi home.

At some point late at night they do shut National down for the night. I am guessing it is around 1:00AM. After I think 10PM they have noise abatement procedures to reduce the noise. Can you tell I live 1.3 miles from the airport? LOL. Thankfully we are parallel to the airport and only hear planes when the wind shifts and they turn the airport (all planes have to change the way they land and they fly overheard to do that).

The taxi%26#39;s are regulated by the airport authority and are registered. There will be a person to get you into the right taxi for your trip out to Tyson%26#39;s.

There is plenty of security around and I have never been concerned for my safety at National. You will be fine.


I absolutely agree with Kvandy. I%26#39;ve also arrived after midnight a few times, and it%26#39;s not at all unsafe. There are plenty taxis there that late--although you might have to wait in a short line to get one. Don%26#39;t worry.

  • white hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment